Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Model 19

  1. #1
    Inactive Member jcmjrt's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 15th, 2005
    Posts
    6
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I was lucky and got some very clean 1976, oak finish model 19's from the son of the original owner. Even the grills are perfect and has the original tangerine tag!

    The wood is in excellent condition but looks a little dry. It looks like an oil finish. I was thinking about a very light 0000 steel wool rub, cleaning and some BLO/tung oil. Is it an oil finish or...? These are waaay too nice to make a mistake.

    I'm very impressed with the sound so far - well-balanced and strong bass - but of course am wondering what people tend to do for tweaks (if any)? At some point, I'll probably be looking to do a scratch build on crossovers so particulars on parts recommendations would be welcome too as seemingly small parts changes can create pretty different results.

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Post

    Greets!

    So it says in the brochure: http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...l-19/page2.jpg

    GM

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member LICORNE's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2004
    Posts
    1,603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Post

    For XO parts best thing is to replace with same values.What company is best. Well that is another
    different ball game.

    Or you could get some brand new XO from ICONIC


    http://www.iconicspkrs.com/downloads/dn19_8u.pdf

    ..........................................

  4. #4
    Inactive Member gamalot's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2nd, 2006
    Posts
    535
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I am quite fond of Minwax Paste furniture wax.

    It kept my 19s gorgeous for 30 years and provides an excellent protective finish with just the right sheen.

    Regarding the XOs. Nothing is wrong with the ones they came with, rather special actually, so just replace old caps and deoxit the pots and keep listening.

    Some feel the 802-8G drivers don't go quite high enough, not me, but I am told of a great bolt on driver by BMS # N4552 will get the 811 horns up in the range where some can still hear and no XO changes are necessary. Think they are around $150 each, bolt right on and no drilling or other cahnges needed
    Stash the 802s for later.

    Make absolute certain your bases are alway on the bottoms. Most 19s that get trashed get that way from no bases and sitting on a damp floor.

    Have fun!

    Gary

  5. #5
    Inactive Member jcmjrt's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 15th, 2005
    Posts
    6
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I'm glad that it is an oil finish...reasonably durable and so easy to take care of. forums

    Iconic certainly has a good rep and it's probably well worth it but I'm more of a diy person so I'll build the XOs myself. I did that for the Cornwalls that I have and enjoyed the results although with them I went with the AlK design and not original. It's good to hear that the original XIO design is good.

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member zelgall's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 25th, 2002
    Posts
    302
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I played with the Xovers on my 19 a lot, including a Marchand active/biamp and I liked the originals with new caps the best. Keep the existing inductors, they sound better than foils that I tried. Maybe Altec modeled them around cheap parts but they sound great in almost stock form.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member jcmjrt's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 15th, 2005
    Posts
    6
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    That's interesting about the inductors. I would have thought that changing to something better like Solens Litz would have been an improvement...they usually are.

    What caps are you all using that have provided satisfaction? I realize there could be a variety but that's OK. It's good to hear what people have used and like/how the perceive it. I tend to like warm but clear. I shy away from hyper clean/harsh highs....it puts my teeth to edge.

    I'm mostly running vintage Mcintosh gear and diy EL84 but right now I've got some modern diy 45 amps on the 19's and just loving Renee Rosnes on piano!

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member LICORNE's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2004
    Posts
    1,603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Post

    Some high end capacitors have Pure Copper or silver leads . "METALLIZED POLYPROPYLENE FILM" caps.

    Has any one have heard of these.

    .....................................

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.